Old September 21st 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default Pilot Events Mandated by IGC?

I just read the following in the Cambridge 302 manual (http://
www.cambridge-aero.com/manuals/302_v3.pdf - page 7)

"...used to log Pilot EVents (PEV) in the flight log as
mandated by the IGC."

I have never heard that Pilot Event logging was *MANDATED* by the
IGC.

I searched and found the following at http://www.fai.org/gliding/IGC_approved_frs;

"Functions such as Pilot Event (PEV) ... may also be
incorporated."

I then found at http://www.fai.org/gliding/system/fi...Marker_USA.pdf
the following;

"March 6, 2009 - It is Proposed: To eliminate from the
Technical Specifications for IGC-Approved
GNSS Flight Recorders the requirement to provide a Pilot
Event Marker."

So can I assume that the PEV is no longer required to be performed by
the pilot? Certainly none of my badge applications have been
challenged for not having PEV's. When and why was it required?

Thanks, John