Old November 16th 11, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Clark[_2_]

Default Dry lake dust storm.

On Nov 15, 4:28*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Here's another couple of short videos of the dust and wave from a
little further south. *We have to so a Soaring Safari to this place
next summer!

Who's in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFVIItabZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R15ASyAVR9Y

Boggs

Gary,
I went on a hang gliding trip in the Lakeview area with a few
friends about 18 years ago. We flew all three of those locations in
your videos. It was a very memorable trip. A few things stand out:
A wicked gust front that came through just as we were setting up on
one of the sites. A mad scramble to secure our gliders while violence
and chaos ensued. Flying figure eights on the ridge at Summer Lake
while a herd of bighorn sheep watched like spectators at a tennis
match, their heads going back and forth in unison. The stationary
dust storm over the dry lake that looked threatening, but stayed put
all day while we soared and top landed and relaunched repeatedly. It
was one of the most outstanding trips of my 20 years flying hang
gliders. I would love to go back and fly those ridges in my trusty
LS3. There are a couple airports that would be more than suitable.
I'll have to get some of those big Alvord Desert tie down stakes you
guys use down there. We have all winter to organize and recruit some
more adventure seekers.

Ron Clark