Old November 18th 11, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gemerson

Default Tail Wheels & Tail Booms snapp'n

This is why it's very important to apply a large quantity of butter or
margarine to the circumference of your tailwheel before each flight.
The butter reduces the side loads and thus prevents the tail boom from
cracking.

On Nov 17, 3:02*pm, POPS wrote:
I was warned about the possibility of a glassed on tail wheel possibly
being *the deciding factor in your tail boon snapping off in a extreme
ground loop *incident, *whereas a skid or wheel that is intended to tear
off could be the deciding factor in just the opposite happening.
I've left my steel shoe, glued on rubber skid in place, and my super
faired tail wheel I made, off.
Any spinout or repair people care to comment on the idea of the tail
boom slamming into the turf at a high rotation speed with a hard mounted
TW.

--
POPS