Old November 10th 03, 05:33 AM
Frank Stutzman

D.W. Taylor wrote:

FYI only a small fraction of the wood in any store in oregon comes from
here.

I could be biased by my location. I don't buy wood in any metro area as I
don't live there. I am currently having a house built and everything that
has been delivered has had a stamp or tag on it that said either SDS (a mill
in Bingen WA, which is barely accross the Columbia) or Warm Springs (which I
assume means it comes from the Warm Springs Indians).

Now, on the other hand, I had a pole barn built last spring. It was a kit
and the outfit that put it togather was from Canby (greater Portland area).
Every stick of that building came from Canada. I was told it was "Canadian
Pine." It was good looking wood, too. Much tighter grain, less knots than
what I can get locally.

Oregon Native and Forest service brat.

Also an Oregon Native. I'm also the first of my family NOT to be making a
living in the timber industry. Put myself through college setting chokers
on some mighty big Douglas fir.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"