Old May 17th 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default tow plane 100 hour inspections

On May 16, 7:19*pm, 150flivver wrote:
Are tow planes required to have a current 100 hour inspection? *Does it matter if it's a club or a commercial operation operating the tow plane? *I thought I knew the answer but just came home after a knock down drag out "discussion" with our A&Ps.

It depends. Aircraft used in a commercial for hire operation require
100hr inspections if they carry the pax or the student renting for
training.

FAA has already decided that a tow plane is not carrying pax in a
glider ride for hire operation, the paying customer is back in the
glider not the tow plane. That's why private pilots can tow in a
commercial operation.

If you have a two seat tow plane and it is "rented for training tow
pilots" then it may require the 100hr. If you offer the tow plane for
free tow qualification flights, then I would expect that the tow is
not required.

JMHO