Old August 27th 12, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Another stall spin

Responding to Noel. Excellent post. Indeed, currency and experience are two very different things. It only takes weeks for the sharp edge of flying skill to start to rust.

It doesn't matter why if, when the moment comes, the pilot lacks the skills to deal with the situation. I always make me wonder why some people spend a lot to acquire the skills to get a rating and then do nothing to maintain those skills. I'm thinking of "highly skilled" contest pilots who make only 20 landings a year - sometimes for decades on end. At some point, they have very little of their skill-set left.