Old August 28th 12, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Another stall spin

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:53:21 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Tom, easy said than done. We all agree that circling too close to the ground is not a good idea, but there is no always a clear indication when it is too close. I don't know why many of you insist that there is nothing to learn from this accident without knowing the most important fact: how low was he circling?? If we find out it was 800 feet, will you go and claim that it is dumb to circle below 1000 feet? This is why we need to know the details, so we can make more informed conclusions. Ramy

Jim was a bit above the sight line of the trees bordering the airport and I would estimate maybe 3/4 of a mile away. Based on this, I would estimate his altitude as being on the order of 300 feet or so. That the glider rotated only a portion of a turn before impact would support this estimate.
Many time people decide it is OK to circle low because they have the airport, or maybe a really good field below. That makes the likely outcome of the landing somewhat better, IF the set up of the landing doesn't get messed up by a sudden loss of altitude. The possible consequences of a spin, however, are still deadly.
UH
UH