Old September 20th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Front Electric Sustainer

I've seen video of a self launch with the FES, however there's minimal
clearance between the propeller and the ground making that risky of a prop
strike.

In the video here, http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/, you can see
that they use an auto tow to get the glider into the air and then release
and start the motor. That would make for inexpensive launches from
practically any large field or small airport.

My main interest is for those days when the clouds are at such a distance
from the airport that a land out is a good prospect and I don't always have
a crew available. Also safe fields are far apart in central New Mexico.

"gotovkotzepkoi" wrote in
message ...

It is my understanding that the Lak with the FES cannot really safely
self launch. What is your view on this? There does not seem to be any
independend assessment of this out there. The concept is so simple and
elegant. It would be wonderful if one could get a good self launcher out
of it.

--
gotovkotzepkoi