Old October 9th 12, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PowerFlarm BRICK range issues - are we alone????

Andy,

I tested with baseline settings on Sunday morning and with MTLAC and MTLS set to 300 on Monday morning. It became obvious that attempting to photograph the display when a target was first detected was unreliable, so I set up continuous video recording.

The PF did accept the settings? You must not restart the PF after a $adsb,configure,... command because these settings are not saved in nonvolatile
memory. What were the PCASRANGE and PCASVRANGE settings?

You could try MTLAC down to 200 or even 150 for testing.

I did notice that the altitude was incorrectly reported for at least 2 of the passing airliners. That makes me wonder if the problem is not sensitivity but incorrect decode of the altitude squawk. If their altitude is incorrectly decoded, and the altitude exceeds the set maximum altitude, then the traffic would not be displayed.

This is probably the systematic problem with legacy XPDRs---it's impossible to
distinguish Mode C and Mode A replies, so some squawks can be interpreted
als altitudes.

I'd like to share the video with you but have no experience with uploading video files. Perhaps you, or someone else, could suggest how I can share .MOV files that are up to 250MByte.

Dropbox, or if you use Google, they recently introduced 'Google Drive'.

Please let me know if there is another configuration you would like me to evaluate.

Thanks for doing the tests already. As above, please just make sure that
the range settings are OK and you don't restart the device after $adsb,configure,...!

F/W update is forthcoming!

Best
--Gerhard