Old November 17th 12, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark IV[_6_]

Default On Seeing, on Flying, and on Cataracts

On Nov 16, 11:43*pm, "sambodidley" wrote:
"Vaughn" wrote

* My vision had deteriorated

below my personal minimum. *I saw an optomologist, who diagnosed cataracts
and sent me to an eye surgeon. After one 2-hour trip to the clinic for
each eye to get new lenses implanted inside my eyeballs, I am now 20/20
again! It's amazing to suddenly have brand new HD vision. *My natural
vision had decayed so slowly, over so many years, that I had forgotten
what a human is supposed to see. *It's an amazing new world!

* * Been there, done that. Got back to 20/20 just like you did. Then about 5
years later got hit with Macular Degeneration. Now I'm down to 20/200 and
taking Avaistin injections in both eyes every 6 weeks just to keep what
little vision I have left. *I have to confine all my flying to computer
simulation with FSX from now on. *I guess I'm lucky to still see well enough
to do that. Being blind sucks.

(Advanced Cell Tech. Inc.) :
"The Company has treated 13 patients thus far in its three ongoing
trials for dry age-related macular degeneration (dry AMD) and
Stargardt's Disease (SMD) using human embryonic stem cells"

" The RPE layer plays a central role in the health and function of the
photoreceptor layer. In treating various forms of macular
degeneration, such as dry AMD and SMD, the goal of the company's RPE
cell therapy is for repair and replacement of those areas in the eye
where the RPE layer has degraded with new cells, and in doing so,
recapitulate the correct working environment around the photoreceptor
layer."
http://www.equities.com/news/headlin...8560&cat=hcare

(RPE clinical trials) :
http://advancedcell.com/patients/cli...l-information/