View Single Post
Old March 20th 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

Default Portable PowerFlarm hardware update

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:40:50 AM UTC-7, kd6veb wrote:
Hi Gang

Have just received back from Noel of Williams, CA my portable PowerFlarm with the new hardware update and have installed it in the Phoenix. Since I had already installed the 2.6 firmware it retained all my old settings including the FAA code for my Mode S transponder. If you have an earlier version than 2.6 note down your FAA code because it will be lost with the update.

Noel, and I think other US distributors have set up a simple and very quick procedure for this work to be done and I commend them for doing so. So this should be done now, give Noel or your distributor a call to set up the return procedure and do it before May 2013 after which there will be a fee for the work.

I hope to fly in the near future with a buddie (Bumper)who has had his portable PowerFlarm updated that he can use either in his ASH25 or his Husky. We will check both the Flarm function by having both units on and then by selectively switching either unit off for the PCAS function. (Note for PCAS performance the Flarm function must be turned off and the only way to do that is to selectively switch off one Flarm unit.)We will probably do the evaluation with the Husky and the Phoenix so we can easily position the planes wherever we wish. I will report back with our findings.

Dave

Dave, PCAS is independent of the flarm function. You do not need to turn the flarm unit off to do your test.
To truly evaluate PCAS performance, you need a Zaon MRX to be able to compare between the two.

Ramy