View Single Post
Old May 11th 13, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default New PDA with e-ink display, internal barometer, gps etc.

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:57:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A new PDA is coming to market. This one is quite different from what we've seen in the past. I would buy this in a heartbeat if I knew it would run X/C Soar.

One thing that you'll want to investigate further is the e-ink display.

The folks at http://tophatsoaring.wikispaces.com/Top+Hat have a derivative of XCSoar that run on a B&N Nook which also uses an e-ink display. Not all e-ink displays are the same, but they have the potential for ghosting (an afterimage shows for anything moving across the display). I understand that the Top Hat folks have overcome this problem to some extent by rooting the Nook and installing a graphics driver that "dithers". Ghosting may not be a problem on the new tablet, or there might be something that precludes (or delays implementation of) the dithering 'solution'. You can investigate the ghosting issue on the new tablet by asking whether it supports "gaming" (ghosting is a problem for gaming).

I would post something at tophatsoaring to spark a discussion of this tablet if those same folks don't soon join in here soon.

You might also keep an eye on Tophat. They hook an external GPS source to the Nook through a cable. The advantage being the Nook is a more manageable size and you can buy a new one for $50 on Ebay. The Nook displays "greyscale" aka no color.