Old May 25th 13, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default turn point

On Friday, May 24, 2013 5:31:02 PM UTC-4, glen wrote:

Thanks Erik

We have no one at our club that has done any kind of badge flight

that didn’t require smoking the barograph. So I’m all alone here. I

did my silver last year and now I want to do a 300k declared and keep

going to get a 500 done on the same flight for the Diamond badge. I

don’t think I have to say where I’m going for the 500 part so I have a

300 planed that will fit into the Triangle, so if I can’t do the 500

I’ll try and get back with the 3 TP of my 300. I just going to do a

paper declaration in the morning with the OO and go for it. Does this

sound correct?

Thanks

Glen

Got it. Just getting home from work, so hope this isn't too late. Taking a risk by doing this on the fly, but here goes:

A lot of people combine the Gold Distance (300K) and Diamond Goal (also 300K) in one flight. A single triangle or out and return can achieve both. So, no problem doing that.

The simplest way to handle the distance and turnpoints is to use the sector Observation Zone (aka pie wedge). No subtracting from the total distance. Just make su

1. You understand the geometry of the pie wedge OZ. For turnpoints, note that it is unlimited in radius, so you can fly well past the tunrpoint as long as you get into the zone.
2. If you don't have a moving map that shows the OZ, just be be sure to fly around the back side of the turnpoint by a conservative margin (say 1/2 mile or so). That's not quite the official definition, but it works.
3. Realize that the start/finish can be a line or the pie wedge OZ. The line is 500M either side of the defined start/finish point, so your best bet is to be sure to fly as close to directly over the point as possible. The OZ is the same pie wedge, but at the start/finish it is limited to 1,000M. Practically speaking, this means do a nice gradual arc about 1/2 mile behind the start/finish point.
4. Adding the next 200M is tricky with your idea, since you can only count 4 total legs. If the triangle you are thinking of has one point as the start/finish, then your last leg will be a straight out for 200K (Start/Finish, A, B, Start/Finish, C). You won't get credit for the return to the start/finish. If you started the triangle on a leg, then the geometry will be different, but the same applies - 4 total legs.

Doing all of this from memory, so can't quote chapter and verse. Main points should come through.

In the future, if you can set up a course and post it to the Badge Dude at the SSA or ask for help from a knowledgable OO beforehand, I'm sure we can help.

Erik Mann