Old October 4th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

*I* have the time.

Of course, if I had to:

1) Look at the airspeed.
2) Look at the runway.
3) Look at the tow plane.
4) Keep it all straight.

ad nauseum, I'd probably be reading the checklist as I careened merrily down
through the weeds.

Do you also feel that the nose hook is better than the CG hook because it
helps keep you straight on tow?

What ever happened to situational awareness and simply flying the freakin'
aircraft?

I'm wearing my flame suit, but I believe in what I said. There seem to be
simply too many "pilots" who want it all done for them electronically or by
rote. C'mon guys and gals. Learn to do it right and you'll enjoy it so
much more.

"Soartech" wrote in message

In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH)
to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep
ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and
move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great.

Sounds OK in theory. An engineer probably came up with the POH entry,
but...
Who has time to look at the airspeed, look at the runway, tow plane and
keep it all straight plus close spoilers and change flaps at a certain
speed? With our clubs 260 HP towplane it all happens fast! Ailerons seem
to work fine in about 3 seconds.