Old October 5th 13, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

On Friday, October 4, 2013 8:06:12 PM UTC-6, Bill T wrote:
Winch tow, hand on release? Not a good idea?

Jerk acceleration, from some slack or something in the line and you inadvertently pull the release.

Probably not too bad if still on the ground.

The accident report is not final from the recent Jacuma CA winch accident.. Preliminary information is a Premature release at to low an altitude and to high an attitude.

Aero tow, I was giving a flight review and the pilot tried to hold his fist right in front of the 2-33 release, it was a bumpy tow and his hand was everywhere except near the release. We discussed the usefulness of that concept.

BT

OK, I gotta jump in here. Keeping a hand on the release is SOP on winch launch. If the ground roll isn't perfectly straight and level, you have to release instantly.

A launch failure can happen anytime at any height on a winch launch and in itself doesn't cause accidents - provided the PIC is doing his job of flying the glider. Student pilots can expect an instructor to pull the release at any height and then be expected to land the glider safely.