Old October 5th 13, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 19:06:12 -0700, Bill T wrote:

Winch tow, hand on release? Not a good idea?
Jerk acceleration, from some slack or something in the line and you
inadvertently pull the release.
Probably not too bad if still on the ground.

If that happens, would you really want to stay on?

If/when that happens to me the release gets pulled because:
(1) I don't want a large bight in the shock rope to wrap round my wheel
(2) I'd rather not subject my hook to the sort of snatch load a powerful
winch can apply.

The accident report is not final from the recent Jacuma CA winch
accident. Preliminary information is a Premature release at to low an
altitude and to high an attitude.

This a good reason for the UK emphasis on a slow rotation into full climb
and not starting rotation until you have 150% of stall speed (50kts in
most gliders) and positive acceleration. It helps to ensure that while
you're low and slow you're not steep.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK