Old January 29th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Replacing TOST release at 10K activations

So, what's the real test, Bob? Would simply giving it a good tug after
hookup disclose a failure? Or would it simply not close over the ring, once
installed by the wing runner? I have only a CG hook - wouldn't it suffer
the same failure mode?

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:16:06 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
...Checking it again before takeoff will probably be the last
time it functions properly and it will fail during the launch and I'll
have
to land on tow ...

Dan, the vast majority of Tost E85 nose hook failures are caused by
failure of the torsion spring that keeps the hook closed. The result is
that the hook will open just fine, it just won't close properly.

Thanks, Bob K.