Old April 25th 04, 04:55 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:53:23 -0400, Eric Pinnell see my web site
wrote:

I am having a dispute with a literary agent and I am conducting
this on-line book survey to add ammunition to my argument. I would
greatly appreciate it if you could answer this survey honestly, but
please dot not send answers via email. Thanks.

1) Who are you favorite espionage/war authors and why?

I differentiate among espionage, other intelligence collection, special
operations, historical general military, and technothrillers -- with the
latter group blurring into science fiction (e.g., David Weber's "Honor
Harrington" started out as an interstellar Horatio Hornblower, and now
is becoming increasingly diplomatic/political). I also look for
well-done alternate history/alternate
timeline/post-interstellar-diaspora recovery themes.

Definitely in the first two categories, and still in substantial degree
in the next two (as well as current doctrine), I read more nonfiction
than fiction.

In the genre you may be looking for, TC of course. Early Dale Brown; the
later ones fail my plausibility test but I'll read for a while more. WEB
Griffin. James Cobb. For silly escape, Clive Cussler.

2) Who are your least enjoyable espionage/war authors and why?

Again, I don't call them one genre. The last one I remember putting down
in the middle and not picking up was by Patrick Robinson (oddly, ADM
Sandy Woodward's as-told-to).

3) What determines if the book you read is a keeper or a reject?

Plausibility and characterization. I like following a character(s)
through multiple works.

4) Other than 38 North Yankee and Red Phoenix, have you read any books
about a war in Korea? If so, what are the titles?

Mostly nonfiction -- I have a shelf of them.

5) Assuming a book was well written about a war in Korea, would you
read it, or do you believe the Korea scenario has been overdone?

No, I don't.