Old August 12th 14, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default World Championship gliders

On Monday, August 11, 2014 6:47:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Steve, After flying 12 of the last 14 years in the 1-26 Champs, I can assure you that it is a one design class, and there is very very little performance differences between models. Much more difference in a well sealed and cleaned up ship and one that is not. And a real hoot to fly in the Champs. I have seen all models win. It is the nut on the end of the stick that makes the difference. Kevin 92 (former 192)

Kevin, they are "one design" only in that they are all on the same TCDS. Agree completely that a lot depends on the driver. Also, that a well prepared, clean, straight, sealed A can probably knock the socks off of a crappy E on a strong day, even if flown at its much lower permitted gross weight.

As I said, you guys that race them are willing to accept that each one is different, but they are all close enough to the same to go race as a one design class.

Steve