Old August 12th 14, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default World Championship gliders

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:09:50 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, August 11, 2014 6:47:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Steve, After flying 12 of the last 14 years in the 1-26 Champs, I can assure you that it is a one design class, and there is very very little performance differences between models. Much more difference in a well sealed and cleaned up ship and one that is not. And a real hoot to fly in the Champs. I have seen all models win. It is the nut on the end of the stick that makes the difference. Kevin 92 (former 192)

Kevin, they are "one design" only in that they are all on the same TCDS. Agree completely that a lot depends on the driver. Also, that a well prepared, clean, straight, sealed A can probably knock the socks off of a crappy E on a strong day, even if flown at its much lower permitted gross weight..

As I said, you guys that race them are willing to accept that each one is different, but they are all close enough to the same to go race as a one design class.

Steve

It is very very rarely that the slight differences in the 1-26s ever standout. I prefer the D and the E because I like the thicker spar for ridge flying, but I would not have any qualms if someone offered me to fly an A, B or C in a 1-26 contest. If you look at results, all of the different models have been represented at the top of the scoresheet. The one that has been least represented, ironically is the E model, which has the highest wing loading. That is more due to that the E is mostly flown as a club ship rather than owned by those who race 1-26s. This is since that the E, while more durable for club operations is harder to repair if damaged in an landout. Ultimately, it is really a wash... come fly 1-26s if you want real one-design racing!

Best Regards,
Daniel