Old May 12th 04, 04:23 PM
Chris Mark

Default Bob the bombardier has passed on

A while back I posted a story about Bob, bombardier of a B-25 that ditched on
the way back to Corsica after a mission. Bob saved the lives of both the
pilot, who was injured in the cockpit, and the tail gunner, who was trapped in
the aft compartment.
Well, Bob Denbo, I learn, has passed on, age 83. Bob was a Hoosier who enlisted
the day the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor. He served tours in the CBI and Italy as
a bombardier, separating from the service after the war, but re-enlisting to
serve in the Korean War. His favorite things were basketball, long hot summer
evenings, tenderloin sandwiches, home-grown tomatoes, dogs and Chevrolets. He
had an Indiana-boy's dry wit, good judgement, pragmatism and compassion. He
loved his country dearly and had an abiding interest in politics and history.
He will be missed.

Chris Mark