Old December 20th 14, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default $450 buff and wax at region two (mifflin)

On Monday, May 12, 2014 7:19:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 6:08:01 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:49:39 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

A shredded trailing edge or aileron makes $450 look positively cheap.

Just so. The previous owner of my glider buffed the paint right off the trailing edge of the elevator. As far as UV protection, I'm pretty safe if I stay with new microfiber rags and elbow grease, but that will not repair the overall scratched surface that I bought. It seems rather easy to mess up. I think I will take it to a pro next winter to restore the surface.... sailboat people have told me that it would not be too hard to bring back..

Give the sailboat guys a shot and report back.
UH

As a "final polisher" in a well known shop...... I will say:

-Crappy prep before polish is like trying to "polish a canvas sneaker", only so much you can do.
But, a "crappy final polisher" can screw up a good prep.

I'm not an "expert" although I have ~100+ hours doing final polish. Some customers are on here......