Old March 21st 15, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OGN

Which is just as well, as OGN won't sell you one!

Well, just to clarify- "OGN" is not selling anything to anyone. Apart from ideas and inspiration to do cool things (I hope ) And OGN is not forcing anyone to use one and only one solution (as some other companies do).

OGN needs to distance itself from any Tracker other than Flarm itself, to
ensure the co-operation of Flarm.

Don't see any reason for that. OGN has never said it was purly "FLARM's toy". FLARM could have had done it years ago, did not take its chance. It's difficult to imagine that so many people would voluntarily sacrifice their time and money in the name of building (for free!) a highly distributed network which would then only be bound to one commercial company.

OGN proposes a platform, on which FLARM can be very important player, but not the only one. And many of the OGN members (me included) strongly believe in openness of the protocols - and that is what OGN now proposes under "OGNTP".

Personally I see Tracker as a solution looking for a problem.

In which sense? Nobody forces you to build/have/fly with one.

Cheers
Wojtek