View Single Post
Old April 8th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default In wave, in blue hole at cloud level, hole closes, in IMC, then what?

Find an instructor with much wave experience and ask them to help you come up with a plan and some training. Some gliders will do a benign spiral well, others will not. Get some benign spiral training then try it in your glider to see under what conditions it will or will not have a benign spiral.. Get an instant on AH. I would be very hesitant to open the spoilers at high speed, there was a discussion about that a month or two ago. I have flown many complex aircraft and I think one thing gliders pilots do not do very well is to seek recurrent training from a qualified instructor. When I was actively flying gliders I trained every year with an instructor, spins, spiral dive and I always asked them to surprise me with something we had not covered before (just now getting back into gliding after a long absence). In the other complex type aircraft I trained every 3 to 6 months. Most glider pilots only get recurrent training every biannual. I like to know what to do during an emergency rather than figure it out at the time.

I have experienced multiple inflight emergencies and in all but one case my training took over and no thought was involved, just muscle memory. However, the case I had not trained for was one throttle cable coming loose on final with the engine immediately going to full throttle. My very first thought was "we never covered this in training". It would be best just to rely on muscle memory. As a side note, it was a big cabin class twin and after a moment of thought I feathered the engine and continued to landing on the one good engine.

In climbing we always said plan for the worse, hope for the best. Training, training. Maybe one of the experienced legends of the sport can comment here and add guidance.

One more thought. In the war bird community we had hanger flying sessions were we talked about the emergencies we experienced and how we handled them.. These were priceless sessions! I learned what other pilots did in situations I had never thought of. Maybe we should start a hanger flying session on this site!