Old August 6th 15, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:10:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Respectfully Andy, I truly believe a contest is more interesting if it compares one pilot's soaring ability against another's.

A contest with unlimited use of FLARM and/or outside-the-cockpit sources compares pilots' capability to gather, synthesize, and analyze the abilities of multiple people (other pilots through FLARM, weatherman, call DJ on the iPhone, etc) This is decidedly un-birdlike and not as fun.

XC

I have to agree with XC, P3, and UH here, and disagree with you Andy (the 9B kind). Having a little computer screen that can tell you where the other competitors are and what they are doing/experiencing beyond what you can gather with your senses traditionally seems impure to me. I don't have a flarm, so I have to get my information the old fashioned way, by looking out the window. I don't say this as a crotchety old guy resisting change--(think turn point cameras and GPS)--i'm in my 20's. we all stare at screens all day and I think what's beautiful about soaring still is that we get in a glider to have real non "through-a-screen" experiences. but we've found a way to keep staring at screens, even up there.

I think too much of the analysis is done by a computer when using flarm to it's full tactical extent, and not enough is being done with the brain. I don't say that as a bitter non-flarm user, but as someone who is just collecting his in-flight information about the competition the old fashioned way. assessment, decision making, and judgement all go hand in hand, and I think that is a job that the pilot should be doing on his own. that's what sets us apart in the cockpit, our minds. what reallly makes the best truly the best? that they have the most money to spend on fancy instruments? no. it's their ability to assess the overall situation and make the best choices.

Lastly, I will completely contradict myself and acknowledge that at the international/hardcore team flying level, using that kind of information to it's fullest extent is what is necessary to get on the podium these days.