Old August 7th 15, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 2:17:35 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
This is, indeed, amazing that folks are considering the "risk" of leeching more significant than the risk of collision. Sound like paranoia to me.

Ramy

The genesis of trying the FLARM in stealth mode was when I was flying at the PAGC. Let me first say the PAGC was a very good event and Sarah and crew did an outstanding job. The idea was to use the FAI rules in a contest here in the US. The contest was a success and I like the FAI rules, generally.

There the US Team used team flying and all the FLARM capability we could get together. Poor Jerzey couldn't get away from the pack to do his own thing because he was tagged and followed from the start. It was also sad to see our top guys resort to following someone else rather than doing something brilliant on their own. The results were homogenized. Again, not as fun... I hope the FAI will continue with the movement afoot to go a stealth mode of some sort.

I congratulate the pilots at the 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill. There were no instances of poor, heads down thermalling that I heard of. FLARM warnings were quite adequate combined eyes-out awareness. The big FLARM debate never materialized at the contest. Everyone seemed content using stealth mode.

The same goes for the finish gate. None of the pilots went crazy with it. I don't remember any showy airshow stuff or iffy landing patterns. It really was no big deal and was more fun for everyone.

Thanks to those who came. Thanks for the sportsmanship and the safe flying. I wish more of you were there.

XC