View Single Post
Old September 10th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The highly successful UK Junior XC program vs. USA's nonexistantJunior XC program. Why?

My local club generally has around 5 kids under the age of 18 in training. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's all about consistent availability of tows and instructors. Speaking as a father of two pilots. My daughter first soloed at 14-1/2 and my son is about to do the same. Kids these days have lots of things pulling on their time. I know we all have heard stories about in the "old days" working at the field for tows and instructor time and how people worked their way through, but these are really very unique events. For young kids to participate in soaring they need parental support, and lots of it. Oftentimes they need some enticement too. Flying old 2-33's around the patch is about as fun as watching paint dry. It wasn't until I mentioned to my son that he could fly my ship that he really started working at it hard. My deal with him was that when he passed all the requirements for a private license I would pay for the insurance and he could fly my Discus. He is barely over 14 and is about to take the written exam (which he will smoke), and is nearly ready to solo. Once he completes his solo flights and passes a simulated test to PTS standards (he isn't old enough to take the actual test), I will give him his checkout and let him go. The kids involved in the UK programs have support similar to what my kids have. Strong clubs with plenty of modern hardware and knowledgable instructors plus something really cool to aspire too. They don't race in 2-33's. Make it exciting and cool and we won't have just 70, it'll be 7000. Otherwise it will be zero as there are too many other options.

Mark