Old November 28th 15, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Is FLARM helpful?

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 6:51:46 AM UTC-8, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

WRT thermals, one prior poster observed that Winpilot is excellent for displaying gliders in a thermal. The idea of someone in a thermal not looking out the window 100% of the time is troubling to me. There have been at least two instances I am personally aware of where FLARM equipped gliders have collided in a thermal.

QT

WRT to tac display in thermals, I am more concerned about the gliders I cannot see, than the ones I can. The latter have already been accounted for. The former will not be seen even if I put 200% of my attention outside the cockpit. These are the ones behind or below in the circle. A poor tactical display may require too much attention to process, leading to a loss of overall situational awareness. A good one requires a 1 second glance to process everything.