Old June 13th 04, 10:02 PM
Guy Alcala

Default F-4 w/AIM-9 and bombs carriage question

I've been looking through Shlomo Aloni's Osprey book on
Israeli F-4 Phantom aces, and I note that around the time of
the '73 war when they want to carry AIM-9s, they either

1. don't carry any A/G stores on that pylon (when carrying
two AIM-9D/Gs on the shoulder mounts), or

2. only carry a single AIM-9D/G on one shoulder mount and
delete the store carried on the same side (i.e., either the
I/B or O/B side) station of the TER.

Because they seem to have valued the AIM-9 far more than the
AIM-7 for their strikers, the Israelis were often flying
with a highly assymetric load, i.e. 5 M117s on the C/L, 3
M117s on the right I/B, and two AIM-9s on the left I/B, plus
two tanks. I know that USAF F-4s were only able to fire
AIM-9s OR drop bombs on a single mission prior to 1973 or so
owing to wiring limitations (which is probably represented
by condition 1 above), but condition 2 above implies that
there's a clearance problem even after the wiring was
changed. The Israelis later went so far as to develop an
adapter for the forward right Sparrow well that allowed an
IRM to be carried there, which allowed them to carry two
bombs plus one AIM-9/Python 3 on the left I/B, decreasing
the assymetry to almost nothing and increasing the bombload
while still carrying a pair of IRMs. Can any of our
resident F-4 types comment as to whether there were such
clearance restrictions for simultaneous AIM-9/bomb carriage?

TIA,

Guy