Old April 25th 17, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Tow Plane Upsets......

The older, taller gliders were more problematic with CG hooks because the
hook was well below the actual CG. Some have a tendency to pitch up
excessively even on a winch.

I've taken aerotows on a CG hook in Pilatus, LS-4, ASW-20 and 27. None
harder than a nose hook in a Blanik.

The new designs are easier as long as the tow pilot gives you the
manufacturer recommended aerotow speed. One towpilot shorted me 10 kts
once too many times. I don't take tows from him any more as I got high
behind him twice and yanked.

The 27 with CG hook is lovely on aerotow, even through rotor. YMMV with
water and different CGs.

A nose hook is more work as you have to compensate for yaw and pitch
couples.

My question is which gliders with CG hooks are giving towpilots trouble?

Or is it a pilot problem?