Old July 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Smartace11

The point is that someone said that Bush volunteered for Viet Nam, but there
is
a document extant that shows he -did-not- volunteer for overseas assignment
at
one point.

Why is that a point worth debating? I joined the AF in 1968,flew F-4s, didn't
volunteer, and didn't end up in SEA until 1972. Wasn't avoiding it, just
didn't see that it made any difference one way or the other.

A friend in the old Air Defence Command did volunteer starting in 1967, flew
F-101, F-102, and F-4s and was never sent until 1972.

You guys are trying to put way too much spin in this. GWB followed a path that
others that I knew did either by choice, political influence, or luck of the
draw. Algore clearly did the same with his assignment as a press officer. A
two star I worked for did his tour as a navigator (!!) on a T-39 Learjet (c/s
Scatback) that ferried between Clark Air Base Phillipines, Saigon, and the Thai
bases. Flying a Deuce was far more dangerous in any circumstances.

To me the only thing that is totally unfathomable is why a decorated Vietnam
vet would hook up with the likes of Jane Fonda and her crowd to protest the war
unless it was to gain political traction under a Republican president.

Steve Mellenthin
2000 hrs F-4C/D/E/RF
270 Missions SEA 72-74
Repubican