Old January 30th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Hard Deck

The suggestion that an armchair committee might judge the safety margin of a landing without having been there and without an accurate flight log seems pretty silly to me.

CORRECTION: I meant 'judge the safety margin of a save'. If a landing occurs, then the scrutiny can be valid (as I've tried to point out here earlier).

Since very low saves almost never work, we're not actually going to let much get by with such a sampling scheme. The ultimate goal of motivating safer flying would be met.