Old July 16th 04, 06:12 PM
OXMORON1

smartace asked for clarification with:
I don't disagree at all, I am just asking the question. The B/A-26 was used
in
Vietnam as well and my question is whether using a medium bomber/attack
aircraft was appropriately used in a heavy bomber role. There is no doubt
that
the heavies in War 2 were employed in what seems to have been the most
logical
tactic. The -26 is a bit of a different beast and its main advantage seems
have been speed and maneuverability, not payload.

Okay, I'll try again....
Different airframe, the A/B-26 of Vietnam was the Douglas Invader, not the
Martin B-26 of Art's time. The A-26 didn't get to Europe until late in the war,
redesignated the B-26 after WWII, redesignated A-26 for political reasons
during SEA. Art's unit transitioned to it after the war IIRC.
The mission for the A/B-26 in the SEA wargames was different, primarily a
single or two ship "patrol"/ "fishing" expedition, usually under the guidance
of a FAC.Sometimes they had specific targets.
Somewhat similar to the role of the B-57 interdiction missions along the
"Trail".

According to my sources the targets were more "targets of opportunity" when
compared to WWII target selection and bombing practice.
None of the group briefing of 36 crews with the Intel officer standing in front
of the group saying "the Target for Today" is....

That what you are asking about?

Rick Clark