Old February 12th 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

At 17:41 12 February 2018, krasw wrote:
maanantai 12. helmikuuta 2018 17.00.06 UTC+2 Michael Opitz

kirjoitti:
At 12:36 10 February 2018, Dave Walsh wrote:
You'd have to live in a very flat area to consider Enstone a
"hill top site": it's enormous and flat.

I wonder if anyone has addressed the "convenience" factor, and
if it might have been a player. I looked at the report and
screen grab pictures, so given the headwind and enormous size
of the airfield, it should have appeared to have been a "no
brainer" to just pull the dive brakes and land straight ahead.

ASW 24 has weakest airbrakes of pretty much any standard class

made after
70's. You might easily get used to doing shallow angle finals, and

suddenly
seeing runway end at steep angle could cause reaction to do a 360

turn.
Just speculating, of course.

I had 2 ASW-24's and flew numerous nationals and one WGC
(Austria) in them. I didn't have any complaints about the airbrakes
in that glider. When I fly my own ship, I make virtually every
landing approach with full dive brakes simulating coming in over
tall trees at an off airport landing site. The ASW-24 gave me no
issues when I did this. From that screen grab, (and the headwind)
it appeared to me that it would have been very easy to put it down
straight ahead with room to spare... Apparently, the accident board
came to the same conclusion too... We will never know why he
chose not to do so.

RO