Old April 3rd 18, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

Default Ventus 2 compared to Discus besides the obvious

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 8:19:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I know the Ventus 2 is flapped and Discus is not. I am talking about ease of handling that the Discus is known for. Is the Ventus 2 with its wing design change similar to the Discus or more like its predecessor to fly. The Ventus A/B do not receive the greatest reviews for pleasure flying. What do you who have flown them think.

Dino

I was going through the same decision process a few months back when I was looking for a ship. I did not have my heart set on any particular model, my criteria was late model (competitive) ship, with flaps strongly preferred. And I wanted nice handling. If the hottest ship I could afford was like spending all day balancing on a razor blade, I would "trade down" to a more stable model.

After looking at a few ships (Standard class and 15 Meter), I started looking into the Ventus 2. What made me consider them was George Moffat's comments in his book Winning 2.

Early in the book Moffat comments generally on the improvements in each generation of ships, then on the V2 specifically on page 232. He said: "The V2, perhaps the nicest handling glider I have ever flown (of 88 types), won its first World Championship in 1995 and has won all but one of the contests since then."

Later he gives a chronological listing of each type he has flown, with the V2 being flown *after* the Discus. You can read whatever you want into that..

Moffat's comments did not lock me into that model, but it sure gave me a green light to consider the V2. Incidentally, I ended up buying ... a V2.