Old August 15th 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Flying with Parachutes

I am not against parachutes, but the thread initiator is a newbie starting lessons and I felt some exposure to the sport up to the point of a glider license would be in order before purchasing such an expensive piece of insurance. Annnnndddd if he is that scared about leaving sweetie and little Susie behind, perhaps he should purchase a Pipistral with a ballistic parachute to improve the odds even more.
Point is, I don’t want to start a trend of advising or scaring new comers to a dying sport that soaring is more dangerous than driving while eating a Big Mac or mowing the grass with a thunderstorm about, and the only way to survive is to pump out the cost of a parachute.
But, I see I am out voted base on what I’ve read, so Johnny, have at. Welcome to a great little known miracle that many created (not me) for our exclusive use.
As for myself, When I fly off my strip, cross country and all, no chute. Comfy cushions.
I’ll probably hit a cow tomorrow.
Cheers,