Old February 25th 19, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

Default Dittel radio servicing

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 6:30:42 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:15:32 AM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Uli:
I am still using one with the original battery and a sticker on the side that says "replace battery in 2005". So, I would not worry too much about it.

David:
It might not be worth the cost & nuisance of the repair when you can buy these used so cheaply and just install a replacement. I just bought one for $280 USD (which included shipping) and there are several on www.segelflug.de at prices between 80 and 100 Euros. They can't be used in Europe anymore so there are many available.

ROY

That's exactly how/why I got it. Mine came out of Belgium - paid 110Euros for it. :-)
The sticker says to change the battery in 2002 but it still seems to be ok.
Uli

Thought I'd check and see how changing the battery yourself worked out? I'm in the same situation with my FSG 71M, it won't retain any saved channels so I'm thinking the internal battery needs to be swapped out. It looks like some people swapped out themselves using this battery:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-TL5902-PBP
If I didn't do this myself it sounds like there's limited/costly options to have this done at a repair shop (radio is in the US) and it maybe easier/less expensive to get a used unit?
How difficult is it to swap out the old battery for a new one? Is the battery in this link still the correct one (that link is from last years post).
Thank you
RJ