Old May 29th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

"Last year, I did 400 off field landings with students in a a motor glider. {Emphasis by Tom Knauff} With few exceptions, each one of those pilots would have crashed during one of their first attempts at a real landing. (Remember we begin with easy fields.)"

Let's not lose sight of the fact that each one of those students likely had very limited prior experience in the 2-place motor glider being used and were likely doing one of their first motorglider landings of any type in that exercise. It should be obvious that one does not attempt an off field landing in a glider they are not fully competent to land at an airport. I don't see this "statistic" (if that is what it is) to be meaningful and it seems more designed to alarm.
ROY