Old June 5th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 13:05:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 11:13:15 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
A couple of days ago I witnessed an attempt to rig a 1-36 (I think it
was), and the owner was using a crow bar!* Try that with FRP structures.

--
Dan, 5J

Once when I was rigging my HP14 years ago a "helpful" bystander wanted to apply a hammer to the balky spar pins.

That said, some FRP gliders come with a sort of crowbar from the factory, to draw the wings together that last inch -
applying the forces to suitably engineered points.

An indelible memory for me, shortly after starting my flight training
in 1970, was the sight of the late Dick Johnson driving home the main
pin into his HP-13 with a 5 lb sledge hammer. Apparently normal
procedure for Dick and this particular ship.

Bob