Old December 24th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default RC madness

On 12/23/2015 2:24 PM, jfitch wrote:
Not a response to you, but to Dan who said the FARs say turn right. Sometimes that is the right thing to do. Sometimes not. If we are arguing technology we ought to also argue about the EXTREMELY antiquated technology of his discussion board. Very last century. Often can't tell who is responding to whom.

Well, it would help a lot to trim down the thread to make it apparent to
whom one is responding.

Turning right to avoid a collision is what the FARs direct. If there's
truly an imminent collision and both aircraft turn right, there's no
problem. If only one aircraft turns right while the other continues his
course, there's no problem. But if one turns right and the other turns
left, then you might have a problem. So why make up so many scenarios
where something can go wrong if you make up the rules as you go? Just
follow the rules and keep your head out of the cockpit. And be prepared
to respond when things don't go as they should.

While my postings on this thread lead most to believe that I'm a Flarm
hater, that's not the case. I have simply analyzed the capabilities of
Flarm as described on this forum and as applied to my type and area of
flying and determined that it's not for me. I flew the Whites during
the past summer's fire and smoke season (severely restricted visibility)
and my PCAS alerted me to aircraft within 5 miles and 2,000 feet of my
position. Since I'm not flying for badges, records, contest points,
chicks, or money, it's no problem for me to move slightly away from the
line of best lift (to the right) to allow another glider to pass without
conflict. I also flew out of Minden in a friend's Flarm-equipped
2-seater and was entertained by the display of airliners 20+ thousand
feet above. I never saw an alert.

I'm also in the camp of those who don't want to see stealth mode
implemented. Not because I'm a user, just because I think it's
ridiculous to install a system designed to improve situational awareness
and then to hobble it by reducing its capabilities. I also believe that
leeching is not a threat to the top contest pilots and that being in
15th instead of 18th position in a contest has little, if any, meaning.

Finally I will always argue with the notion of making something
mandatory, to participate in a sport which is entirely voluntary, and I
will always take exception to those who rely on bullying (it's a no
brainer) to try to prove their agendas. I vote to state the facts and
let everyone decide for himself. If an event manager mandates Flarm
(Nephi) I won't attend the event. I can always fly there when there's
not an event taking place.

BTW, I will likely install ADS-B in my next glider but probably not
Flarm because I don't do a lot of gaggling.

Dan