Old May 26th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Experience with Flarm "Stealth" and Competition modes

This discussion reminds me of the one we had about whether GPS should be allowed in racing. The argument in con was that we would eliminate the testing of ones navigating skills if we allowed GPS in the cockpit. That turned out to be true -- but so what. GPS has greatly enhanced the sport by ensuring that we know where we are and that is a darn good thing to know.

Now the idea of knowing about nearby thermal locations and strengths is a similar kind of game changer. I'll be looking forward to the day when my computer is automatically analizing all the nearby climb reports and sorting for those that are task relevant with voice advisement like: "Tango Tango climbing six knots, 3 miles 12 starboard at seven point four". The computer could even map the air ahead of me and remember about the strength and location of thermals that may be recently vacated and steer me through them and away from the sink. Done right, there may be no heads down time and minimal distraction -- just soaring goodness. It will be like having a generational improvement in your glider at the cost of some software that is yet to be written. Not to worry, the computer will be listening to the radio and won't step on that important radio gibber.

For now, folks that want to extract tidbits with quick glances to the little display can do so while those that prefer to play stealth can exercise that option. Stealth mode is quite a clever resolution. I see nothing to complain about from either camp.