Old June 26th 14, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Key to aviation safety revealed!

Had to look it up - I learned that as a square knot. I used to teach
newbies what I thought was a rolling hitch to tie down aircraft. Turns
out that what I was teaching is not a rolling hitch. I found a picture
(http://www.aceflyingclub.com/library...ane-hitch.jpg), but
couldn't find a name. Now I just use a simple slip knot, thread the
loose end of the rope through the loop, and snug it up a bit so the wind
won't play havoc with it. It won't slip and it won't come untied.

Dan Marotta

On 6/26/2014 7:39 AM, Andy wrote:
The key to aviation safety has finally been revealed! Who would have thought that the reef knot, which has been familiar since early childhood to anyone with the simplest knowledge of knots, could make such a difference. I had previously thought that knot tying was only of great importance to Sparrow Hawk owners.

Glad to know that being in the cub scouts made me a safer pilot.

Andy (GY)