Old July 3rd 14, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Key to aviation safety revealed!

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:38:14 PM UTC+12, Tony wrote:
I think around 1400 were unfortunate misspellings of the word Winch.

That could indeed be unfortunate. I didn't get to that part.

I'm still wondering whether mislabeling the model of a glider in a photo would constitute a safety-critical error and thus make the list. My imagination is proving lacking in coming up with a suitable scenario.

When I did one of my early solos in a Piper PA38 "Tomahawk" I noticed that iust like a glider with a sustainer, it was equipped with an engine that enabled it to maintain level flight even in light sink. Not, however, in the sink I encountered on downwind that day. When I'd descended from 1500 ft to 1200 ft despite full power and speed for best rate of climb I radioed the tower and reported unable to maintain circuit altitude. I got down to about 800 ft by the time I turned base. At which point I hit stonking lift of course.