Old November 29th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Put your money where the risk is

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 7:23:16 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 11/28/2019 4:50 PM:
When someone once told me that I was lucky in life, I replied "I make my own luck."

This is, I think, an example of thinking that can lead to an erosion of margins.
If you soar, you are exposed to things like weather and other pilots that you do
not completely control. I think "stuff happens" and the best I can do is adjust my
margins so that my skill can cope with bad stuff.

Hardly, what it means is that you are proactively, instead of passively, involved in all things that effect your life and business. So, this means INCREASING your margins on glide calculations, or NOT flying in iffy weather, rather than depending upon "luck" to get you thru as Masak did. The entire point is NOT depending upon "luck" which is a euphemism for ****-poor planning. You can't control everything that is happening around you, but you can as best prepared as humanly possible.

Tom