Old April 29th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Default returning to flying after 29 years

Qzectb wrote:

It's everything else that's got me nervous: tower communications,
controlled airspace, etc. Among other things, I realize that the
entire airspace classification system has changed since I last flew.

It makes a lot more sense now, though, so you'll pick that up much
quicker than a new student.

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible.

I recommend Bob Gardner's book "Say Again, Please" because it's concise
and clear.

Side note: When I last flew, a C-152 was $19/hour wet, a C-172 was
$24/hour. There was no GPS. There were effectively no electronic
navigation calculators.

The E6B hasn't changed, but, I have to admit that the ASA CX-2 flight
computer rocks.

The C-172 engine was carbureted, not fuel-injection. And yet, overall, I'm amazed at how
little the 172 has changed in three decades.

Well, if it's like the ones I rent, it's literally the same plane. :