Old April 29th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

Default Shortest distance flown by wood?? :D

Alistair Wright wrote:

snip

I think the Silver badge needs a bit of up-dating to take account of the
better equipment which is now available. I would replace the 5 hours with a
second cross-country of at least 150Km to be done in a straight line (ie no
landing back at home) and bump up the height gain to 2000m. I believe the
original intention of the Silver badge was for it to be completed in one
flight. In the kind of kit around in the 1930's the Gold distance would have
needed at least five hours and I guess the idea was for people to keep going
and not stop at 50Kms.

snip

Nice ideas. I've always thought the Silver was silly except in a 1-26
or similar. In addition, I think the badge altitude requirements are
unrelated to XC ability, especially given the sophistication of modern
varios. A pilot who can stay aloft for more than an hour is familiar
with cloud base. Altitude gain becomes entirely dependent on weather
conditions. A XC pilot who can fly 500K, never getting 1200m off the
ground (or 100m off the ridge) shouldn't have to travel to where the
weather enables a 3000m climb to earn his or her Gold. The point of the
badges (as I understand it) is to encourage cross country flight, not
vacation planning ;-) I think it would be reasonable to recognize the
altitude gain separately though.

Shawn