Old August 5th 03, 11:02 PM
Ed Rasimus

Default Vietnam era F-4s Q

(Zajcevi) wrote:

Hello

I would like to ask few questions about Vietnam era F-4s. I went
trought many sources and I found some „blank“ areas.
1. First questions are related to Phantoms radar sets. In my search I
found almost nothing about ranges (depending on RCS and heigh level of
target) , operational modes, scan patterns... of AN/APQ-72, APQ-100,
APQ-109 and AN/APG-59 (AWG-10) and differences between each types.

I flew the E and D in SEA and then the C model in Europe for four
years after. All three models had a radar that could reach out for
mapping and beacon targets to 200 miles. Clearly at that range the
data presented was very general. Scans were horizontal, +/- 60 degrees
from center. C and D offered two bar scan while the E had a three bar
scan.

2. Also any infos about AAA-4 IRST are missing.

In '72 when I qualified in the airplane, the IRST was deactivated in
all aircraft.

3. In the case of F-4J, were also VTAS HMS together with AIM-9H used
in combat during Linebacker? Or was AIM-9G most advanced Sidewinder
used id SEA?

J model was USN, so I can't comment. We carried AIM-9J.

4. SUU-16/ 23 gunpods were widely used with many succeses during
Rolling Thunder. But never heard that they have been used also in
Linebacker. This seems to be interesting, becouse many MiGCAPs
(mainly) consisted from F-4Ds and they missiles were unreliable
AIM-9E, from second half of 1972 not much better AIM-9J and of course
AIM-7E-2. I know that this problem was sometimes solved with adding
gun armed F-4E to MiGCAPs instead of F-4Ds. So have been gunpods
carried in 1972 by F-4Ds during missins over North Vietnam?

Most of the F-4s in SEA flying from Thai bases were E models by '72.
There were no D models at Korat in '72 until a deployment from Korea
of the 35th TFS. Tahkli got the deployed folks from Seymour Johnson in
E models. Udorn which was primary for MiG-CAP flew both Ds and Es. The
AIM-9J was quite reliable and the AIM-7E-2 wasn't bad if fired within
design parameters, unfortunately training for many didn't really
qualify folks in air/air completely.

Remember that the MiG-CAP in '72 was working closely with GCI and were
better prepared than they had been in the past to engage BVR or at
reasonable missile ranges.

The SUU-16/23 pods carried air/air were a short term solution to a
short term problem during Rolling Thunder.

5. Last question is related to Rivet Haste project F-4Es. How many of
these birds were sent to SEA in fall of 1972? Have been also other
F-4Es partially upgraded to this standard (556 mod, TISEO, Combat Tree
or LES, or their combination?

I don't know a hard number, but I'm sure that some of the historical
statisticians in the group can help with the Rivet Haste number. I'd
estimate about a dozen. Upgrade to TCTO-556, the improved switchology
was very rapid and by August virtually all of the Thailand based F-4Es
were modified. TCTO-566 was the LES/TISEO structural mod and that was
limited to the Rivet Haste (Agile Eagle) birds out of Udorn. Someone
else will have to offer numbers of Tree birds. Never had the
opportunity to fly one.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled: