Old August 6th 03, 10:14 PM
Chad Irby

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Let me see, for comparison sake, would you prefer to ride in my pit
downtown with an APS-107D or in an E-model with an APR-36/37,
particularly if we are going to be hunting and killing SAM sites? Do
you like colored lights better than a clear vector scope display and
TDU? Better launch detection than the AS (Azimuth Sector) light and
sequence logic of the 36/37?

We're not talking about working on them or accessing components here,
we're talking about getting easily interpretable missile threat
warnings in a combat environment.

Well, speaking as a former ECM tech on the F-4E, most pilots would seem
to prefer having a coffee cup holder than an ECM suite that they
actually have to know how to use...

....and you wouldn't *believe* how snippy some of those guys got when we
loaded ALQ-119 and -131 pods on the planes (early 1980s, well after most
plane drivers figured out that ECM is a Good Thing in a high-threat
environment).

Slam on brakes accordingly.