Old August 7th 03, 04:43 AM
Buzzer

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:40:46 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Buzzer wrote:

The APS-107D was an excellent, versatile system. Much better launch
detect and on some aircraft they could be switched to the forward
antennas so the pod jamming didn't bother as much. Just glad I didn't
have to work on them six months after they were installed and all the
little rf cables had come apart!G

Let me see, for comparison sake, would you prefer to ride in my pit
downtown with an APS-107D or in an E-model with an APR-36/37,
particularly if we are going to be hunting and killing SAM sites? Do
you like colored lights better than a clear vector scope display and
TDU? Better launch detection than the AS (Azimuth Sector) light and
sequence logic of the 36/37?

In the 1 1/2 year period between the introduction in SEA of the
APS-107D and the APR-36/37 which would you have preferred? The APS-54,
Vector 4, pre-qual/qual APR-25/26 or APS-107D? Especially if you knew
the APS-107D detected missile launch the same way as the year and a
half in the future APR-36/37?

We're not talking about working on them or accessing components here,
we're talking about getting easily interpretable missile threat
warnings in a combat environment.

We're talking debriefing hundreds of crews. A small percentage
complained at first and wished for their old APR-25/26. Over time the
complaints went down and some even liked the system...