Old March 30th 05, 06:50 PM
Eric Greenwell

For Example John Smith wrote:

That's my point. How do you police it?
How many of us have a phone that has no web capabilities?
Will CDs & OOs check every cell phone carried in a contest/badge attempt?

I don't know of any restrictions on getting weather data during a badge
attempt, so I don't think OOs have a problem.

We're gonna put public key encryption on the logger files but have no way of
preventing a pilot from getting state of the art weather data in flight?

For contests, I don't think there is a connection between logger
security and cell phone issues. Pilots have had the ability to
communicate over aircraft, CB, or ham radio for decades, and with cell
phones for about a decade. This isn't a new problem or concern; however,
policing this has generally been a low priority. Sometimes, at contests,
officials have monitored other frequencies, but it's been infrequent.

Besides the various transceivers and cell phones, there are now
satellite broadcasts of weather (XM radio, for example). There are so
many ways to contact people or data sources, I don't know if it can be
policed. The honor system is one approach; maybe a method of making
desirable information easily available to all competitors would be
better than trying to restrict it.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA